All of our role models attended college. Becoming college ready requires active planning throughout your all of your schooling. Here are some action steps that you can take now to create the future of your dreams.
- Become familiar with the Common Core State Standards K-12. it is essential that you know what is expected of college bound, career oriented students.
- Set up an appointment with your guidance counselor and set up a specific plan to meet your educational career path goals.
- Choose your courses carefully. Enquire about Advanced Placement classes. What courses will help you develop the skills you will need for your career?
- Participate in extra curricular activities at school and over the summer. These activities can help develop skills that will help you toward your career goals.
- Click on Undergraduate to see examples of typical four year Bachelor’s degree college or university requirements for careers featured on our site. Research university career centers for additional information.
- Check out our career specific How do I do this? pages. Pay special attention to the skills you will need to develop while still in school. Research and explore as many careers as you can. The more information you have, the better decisions you will make. Use your head, and follow your heart. Think about what you think you would enjoy. It is easier to succeed if you really enjoy your career. What are you passionate about? Are there career paths that would benefit from this passion?
- Ask your parents to help you find one or more mentors who can guide and encourage you. An experienced advisor can be invaluable. Perhaps you can visit a workplace for a day.
- Finally, be sure to click on our Helpful Links page to visit fun and informative websites dedicated to supporting girls and education.