Topic: Technology Careers
Empowerment Lesson Video: Technology Careers
- Popsicle stick
- Copper foil tape
- LED Light Emitting Diodes
- Coin cell battery 3V-5V
- Small binder clip
- Scotch tape
Tell the students they will be watching the video ‘Technology Careers’. Explain that the video presents role models talking about why girls should consider a career in technology.
Invite students to discuss specific things they learned about technology careers featured in the video and to reflect on their observations e.g., ‘I didn’t know that technology careers were so high paying. It would be great to be paid well for doing an interesting job.’.
- Place a piece of copper tape lengthwise on both sides of the popsicle stick. The copper tape strip should be long enough to contact the battery when it is placed at the bottom of the stick, but should not come in contact with the binder clip when it is attached.
- Attach the binder clip to the bottom of the stick. It should not come in contact with the copper tape, trim tape if necessary.
- Attach the LED to the top of the stick, with one of the legs on either side. Tape down the LED or tuck the legs securely underneath the copper tape.
- Tape the battery to the bottom of the copper tape, making sure that the positive + side is facedown, touching the copper tape.
- Flip the metal legs over the binder clip down over the battery. This should cause the LED to light up and the metal legs can be used as a switch to turn the light on and off.