Empowerment Lesson Video: Robotics Careers
- Box cutter/scissors
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Tell the students they will be watching the video ‘Robotics’. Explain that the video presents role models discussing their careers in the field of robotics and ideas about robots in the future. After viewing, ask the students to share something new that they learned about robotics from the video.
- Cut out cardboard pieces for the arm and hand slot.
- Use a pen to mark where the joints are to bend. Use your hand as a reference.
- Use a ruler to bend the joints in the cardboard hand and fingers.
- Cut bendy straws into smaller pieces – twenty small pieces that go in between the joints and four pieces that are twice as long as the pieces in between the joints.
- Hot glue straw pieces onto front of the cardboard hand.
- Poke a hole through the cardboard for right beneath the thumb and continue hot gluing straw pieces on the other side of the arm.
- Cut the big rectangle piece into an “H” pattern. Fold cardboard pieces inward and hot glue the edges. Stick onto the cardboard arm.
- With five pieces of string, thread each one through the corresponding straw on each finger. Tie the ends and tie a finger loop at the bottom of each. Optional: add a drop of hot glue to the knot.
- Hot glue longer rectangles together and use more hot glue to stick to the back of the arm.
- Decorate if you want to!