Empowerment Lesson Video: Technology Careers
- Shoe box
- Magnifying glass
- Scissors/Utility knife
- Masking tape
Tell the students they will be watching the video Technology Careers. Explain that the video presents role models talking about why girls should consider a career in technology.
Invite students to discuss specific things they learned about technology careers featured in the video and to reflect on their observations (e.g., ‘I didn’t know that technology careers were so high paying. It would be great to be paid well for doing an interesting job.’).
- Hold the magnifying glass against one of the short sides of the shoebox. Position it in the center of the side but near the bottom edge.
- Trace a circle around the magnifying glass.
- Carefully cut out the circle from your box, keeping the edges as smooth as possible.
- Securely tape the magnifying glass on the outside of the box, over the cut-out circle; this is the lens of your projector.
- Lock the screen on your phone to landscape orientation. Brighten the screen and place the phone inside the box facing the lens (it helps to prop it up at a slight angle).
- Move the phone back and forth to adjust the picture. Aim the box at a blank wall, shut off the lights and enjoy your video!