Topic: Choosing Friends
Empowerment Lesson Video: Choosing the Right Friends
- Piece of fabric, cut twenty four inches long and four inches wide
- Nine inch long strip of elastic
- Safety pin
- Needle and thread
Tell students they will be watching the video titled ‘Choosing the Right Friends’. Explain that the video presents role models talking about choosing friends and the role friends play in their lives.
After viewing, ask students to offer their questions, comments, reactions and responses to the video.
- Lay fabric flat, with the longer edge facing you. Fold fabric up in half so that it is two inches wide, with the inside out. Use clips across the top to hold the fabric closed.
- Fold the left edge of the fabric in, half an inch, and clip it.
- Measure down half an inch from the top and stitch all the way across the fabric to make a tube.
- Pin the safety pin through the left end of the fabric. Push the pin inside of the tube and pull it through the tube until it comes out the other side.
- After pulling the pin out, pull the fabric so that it turns right-side out.
- Take the pin off the fabric and attach it to the end of the elastic.
- Push the pin/elastic into the fabric and pull it through until half an inch of the elastic is still out. Use a clip to attach the elastic end to the fabric to make sure it doesn’t slip in.
- Continue pushing the pin/elastic through to the end; this will cause the fabric to bunch up. When the pin comes out the other side you will have a small amount of plastic on either end.
- Remove the pin. Pull the elastic ends out until you can easily knot them together.
- Stitch the ends of the elastic together and pull the fabric around to cover. Then stitch the fabric down over the elastic to complete your scrunchie.