As a youth mentor, you play a vital role in supporting the academic and life success of your mentee. This includes everything from building confidence and learning the importance of integrity to exploring careers and how to prepare for them. That’s quite a range, so where do you and your mentee begin?
The two of you can sit down and check out Career Girls’ high-quality, no-cost resources available right here. Career Girls is ad-free — creating a distraction-free space to make the most of your time together. Plus, we think you'll agree: the inspiring women role models you'll meet through Career Girls will fire up your mentee's imagination about what her future can be.
With more than 600 role models working in hundreds of different careers, you may be wondering how to get started. There is lots to explore, and no one right way to use Career Girls. But a great place to begin is with the Empowerment Lessons.
Using the Empowerment Lessons
Career Girls has developed a special series of videos and educational resources designed to support mentors in promoting empowerment and independence in their mentees. Career-Based Empowerment Lessons are centered around career exploration, and Skill-Based Empowerment Lessons focus on social and emotional learning (SEL) with key topics such as teamwork, confidence, communication, leadership, financial literacy, and the importance of integrity.
Each lesson centers around a short video clip that features real-world role models who share straight-to-the-point career insights and advice, making the lessons an ideal jumping-off point for meaningful and lasting learning experiences. These videos are paired with ready-to-use educational resources that build on essential concepts.
To get started, just follow a few simple steps:
- Choose an Empowerment Lesson. Career-Based Empowerment Lessons are located on the Find Your Path page and Skill-Based Empowerment Lessons are located on the Develop Life Skills page. Each Career Girls Empowerment video is about two minutes and focuses on a different topic. You can use the Empowerment Lessons in any order that best meets your mentee's needs and interests. For example, if one of your goals is to help your mentee develop positive peer relationships, Choosing Friends might be a good place to start.
- Download the Corresponding Resources. Each Empowerment Lesson has a corresponding set of resources accessible on each video page (see example) and can also be accessed individually through the Resources module at the bottom of this page. Download and print the PDFs you'd like to use.
- View the Video with Your Mentee. It may be helpful to preview the video first, noting information that might be particularly relevant to your mentee or vocabulary you might want to review. For example, with “Be Confident,” discuss what confidence means: Is confidence something you get all at once or something that builds? What are some things you feel confident about? How did you develop confidence in this area? What would you like to feel more confident about?
Use the corresponding resources to take the learning further:
- Independent Learning Guide: (see example) This guide is designed to engage girls in digging deeper into concepts introduced in the videos. Your mentee might complete this guide on her own, but you'll find that it's also a great tool for sparking meaningful conversations that can have a lasting impact.
- Classroom Lesson Plan: (see example) While designed for school settings, this resource is also suitable for use in other educational setting, including mentoring, to guide a more in-depth "before, during, and after" learning experience.
- Fun Page Activity: (see example) Guide your mentee in completing this fun activity to further connect what she learned in the video to her own life.
Use the "Positively Empowered!" Certificate. Goal-setting is important in school and beyond. The Positively Empowered! Certificate provides an easy and concrete way to help girls set personal goals for developing the skills and knowledge they need to go after their dreams — and track their progress.
Using the Career Exploration Tools
Along with ready-to-use Empowerment Lessons, Career Girls offers built-in career exploration tools to engage girls in expanding career awareness, imagining what's possible, and taking important steps to plan for their futures.
The free Career Quiz is a fun place to start. This quick and easy quiz helps girls discover careers that may be a match for their skills and interests, with links to role models who can help them learn more. Girls who are natural problem-solvers, for example, can meet Makeda Keegan, an IT Systems Manager. Makeda encourages girls not to be afraid of software and coding. More important than being good at math, she explains, is being "curious, enthusiastic, and thorough."
You and your mentee can also explore by Career Clusters, such as STEM, Health Sciences, and Finance. Or, let them jump right into an A to Z tour of Careers and the Role Models who work in them — from an Accountant to a Zoologist.
Make sure your mentee is aware of our Student Resources. The printable resources promote independence, providing tools you can use with your mentee to set career exploration goals and imagine the future.
Does your mentee dream of being an astronaut? How about a social media director or a surgeon? Maybe she wonders what it would be like to be a computer scientist, a conductor, or a car designer. Career Girls role models will help her discover a world of possibilities.
Use Our Mentor Resources
Use the Resources module below to find these additional mentor resources:
- Mentors Toolkit. This comprehensive Mentors Toolkit offers activities and additional tips and resources to support more in-depth learning.
- Printable Activities. Print and use activities such as our Career Action Plan, Career Girls Journal, Career Comics, and our Is This a Career for Me Venn diagram.
- Ready-to-Use Scripts. Need something fast and foolproof? Get a discussion started quickly with topics like Friends and Integrity and Leadership and Teamwork.
- Motivational Mini-Posters. Use the Resources module below, or see them all on our Motivational Mini-Poster page.
Topic/Theme: Engineering Careers – Use this Empowerment Activity to reinforce the corresponding video and build teamwork and community within your Career Girls Club or other group. Keywords: Activities, engineer, STEM(330.98 KB, pdf)
Deborah Cullinan, Chief Executive Officer: The more that we are inspired, the more we can see a future that is ours. Download and print this free motivational 8" x 8" 300 dpi mini-poster.(2.19 MB, pdf)
Rebekah Salwasser, Sports Executive: A true leader is able to walk in other people's shoes. Download and print this free motivational 8" x 8" 300 dpi mini-poster. Keywords: leadership(2.07 MB, pdf)
Archived Printables and Toolkits
Can't find an older version of a printable or toolkit you are looking for? Browse archived Career Girls printables and toolkits.Keywords: previous, old, replaced, out-of-date
This guide facilitates whole-class and small-group learning with the Be Confident Empowerment Video in the Develop Life Skills section of the website. Keywords: classroom lesson plans, videos, CLP, soft skills, skill-based, skill based, confidence(269.11 KB, pdf)
This guide is designed to support quick-start, discussion-based group learning, as well as students who are independently exploring the Be Confident Empowerment Video in the Develop Life Skills section of the website. independent learning guides, ILG, videos, soft skills, skill-based, skill based, confident(985.33 KB, pdf)
This guide facilitates whole-class and small-group learning with the Become a Leader Empowerment Video in the Develop Life Skills section of the website. Keywords:
Keywords: classroom lesson plans, CLP, videos, soft skills, skill-based, skill based, leadership, leading(290.41 KB, pdf)
This guide is designed to support quick start discussion-based group learning and students who are independently exploring the Become a Leader Empowerment Video in the Develop Life Skills section of the website. independent learning guides, ILG, videos, soft skills, skill-based, skill based, leadership, be(212.22 KB, pdf)
Use this page to explore what it takes to prepare for a career. (Print multiple copies to explore more than one career.)Keywords: printable, printables(33.52 KB, pdf)
Use this page to maintain a record of the career clusters explored. (Print multiple copies to explore more than one career.)Keywords: printable, printables(27.17 KB, pdf)
Use your imagination to create comics that explore questions about careers: How do I do this? Your comics can be funny, silly, clever, serious, or any combination. (Print multiple copies to create comics for more than one career.)Keywords: printable, printables, comic strip(34.64 KB, pdf)
Use your imagination to create comics that explore questions about careers: What is this job like? Your comics can be funny, silly, clever, serious, or any combination. (Print multiple copies to create comics for more than one career.)Keywords: printable, printables, comic strip(30.84 KB, pdf)
Use your imagination to create comics that star yourself in future careers. Your comics can be funny, silly, clever, serious, or any combination. (Print multiple copies to create comics for more than one career.)Keywords: printable, printables, comic strip(27.55 KB, pdf)
Explore 10 different careers to complete this certificate. Decorate a star for each career area you explore.Keywords: printable, printables, certificates(38.82 KB, pdf)
This guide facilitates whole-class and small-group learning with the Career Exploration 101 Empowerment Video in the Find Your Path section of the website. Keywords: classroom lesson plans, videos, career-based, career based, CLP, explore(284.10 KB, pdf)
This guide is designed to support quick start discussion-based group learning and students who are independently exploring the Career Exploration 101 Empowerment Video in the Find Your Path section of the website. Keywords: independent learning guides, ILG, videos, career-based, career based, explore,(213.97 KB, pdf)
Decorate a star for each career area you explore. This certificate is useful for Empowerment Workshops and other programs.Keywords: printable, printables, certificates(39.03 KB, pdf)